- English word very often (but not always) use Greek plural endings
- There are the plural of the suffixes we've been introduced to
Contextualizing Scientific Terms
- Many of the scientific terms that have comedown to us today are heavily influenced by the
Classical (Greek and Roman) tradition. This includes:
○ MythologicalAssociations - Classical Mythology
- Classical myths are alluded to in scientific naming particularly in astronomy,chemistry, and
○ An EtymologicalDictionary of Classical Mythology
- ASTRONOMY: planets, constellations, stars and satellites,etc.
○ E.g. Hydra - a large southern constellation
○ E.g. Hydra - a satellite of Pluto
- ZOOLOGY: animal classification, naming, habits, etc.
○ E.g. Hydra - polyp form organism
Herakles and 12 Labours
Alcema + Zeus = Greek hero Herakles (Latin, Herc