CCT224H5 Lecture 8: CCT224H5 - Lec 8
by Hao Liu, Fall 2017
2 pages73 viewsFall
DepartmentCommunication, Culture and Technology
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Week 8 – Customers
What are customers?
• Customer is an individual or business that purchases the goods or services
produced by a business
• Attracting customers is the primary goal of most public-facing businesses,
because it is the customer who creates demand for goods and services
Customer Lifetime Value (CLV)
• The monetization you receive from a customer over the time they shop with you
• Rewards systems
o Starbucks app
o 7/11 app
o Cineplex (Scene member rewards)
Customer Cost of Acquisition
• Disruption (reduced product cost)
• Marketing (specifically targeting new customers)
• Multiple product lines (R&D, etc)
• Providing a unique range of customer services to personalize service and
customize products to meet differing needs
3 important questions for Software as a Service (SaaS)
• How much do paying customers spend throughout their lifecycle?
o (Revenue per paying user per month * gross margin) / churn
o What is churn rate?
▪ Rate of attrition
▪ % of subscribers of a service who discontinue their subscriptions to
that service within a given time period
▪ For a company to expand tis clientele, its growth rate, as measured
by the number of new customers, must exceed its churn rate
▪ Generally expressed as a percentage
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.