Why is there advertising?
What does it do?
Does it work?
When & Why did advertising BEGIN?
- The first national campaign was for a shoe polish in England in
- Socio historical factors make and made advertising a feature of
everyday life over 2 centuries
The Birth of Advertising
-Industrial Rev. from 1760 to 1850
- Before the revolution, land was the primary and really on source of
- Industrialization came about with many changes
- people moved into cities to wqork into factories, causing MASS
PRODUCTION to come into effect
Mass PRODUCTION only requires MASS CONSUMPTION!!
- mass production needed consumers to buy products in order to
sustain the system and workflow of life
- this was essentially a form of MASS DEMOCRATIZATION
During the 1850’s and 1900’s
- because of migration and displacement people suffered a loss of
direct connection to land, work, and trade
- this caused a strong homogenization of workers where
EVERYONE had and did the same tasks
- Causing a crisis of uniqueness and individuality and their
- There was no real meaning to anything or to work and the bigger
picture of things
- Workers divor