Author // Moulthrop
1. how can we study video games?
2. How can we study virtual environments
3. Can we treat
“we are living through a movement from an organic, undustrial society
to a polymorphous information system – from all work to all play, a
“polymorphous information system” – cloud storage so to speak
• this quote exemplifies how work and the notion of working is
becoming much like that of a deadly game;
Moulthrop questions: can we understand new forms of storytelling in
ways that we were informed by old forms of storytelling, classic media.
Answer – yes we can! Everything is based on narratives.
• the capacity to transform certain aspects of the virtual
environment with potentially signiffician consequences for the
system as a whole
• the dominant function of film and movies is INTERPRETIVE, while
the dominant form of games is configurative
• in the configurative practice, you can losee and fail to reach the
• play is different from interpretation