Mystery Mineral # 2
• Colour: purple QUARTZ!
why does quartz have these properties?
• Chemical composition and structure has to do with internal structure
• Start with basic building block and silica tetrahedra
• Electrons arrange themselves in shells –they are airy and organize themselves into layers
o Inner shelles – 2 of the 8 electrons
o Outer shells – have 6 electrons yet has space for 8 has 2 vacant sites
o Outer outer shell – has 4 vacant sites that need to be filled
This causes these 2 outer shells to share electrons
• Covalent Bonds: atoms that share electrons to make themselves more stable & strong
• Shape of molecule: tetrahedral (4 sides)
• E.g. quartz : has a framework silica oxygen bonds with silica in 2 directions – allows it to be
o Properties of quartz
6 side crystal form
Hard, strong, durable
o in every direction – it has strong covalent bonds make it hard of about 7
Most abundant elements in whole earth?
Most abundant elements in earth’s crust? Oxygen and