M ANAGEMENT ACROSS C ULTURES:D EVELOPING G LOBAL COMPETENCIES (SECOND EDITION )
SECTION 5: CORE VALUES SURVEY 1
This inventory provides an opportunity to assess your own views on culture and cultural differences.
It is designed for self-assessment and discussion, not research. Please read the two descriptions for
each question below and circle the number (1 through 5) that best describes your level of
agreement. For each item, a “1” indicates that you strongly agree with the description on the left,
while a “5” indicates that you strongly agree with the description on the right. A “3” indicates that
you are equally divided between the two descriptions. In completing this survey, please remember
that there are no right or wrong answers, so respond completely and truthfully.
1. Societies grow and develop 1 2 3 4 5 Societies grow and develop
primarily through competition. primarily through cooperation.
2. People should look after 1 2 3 4 5 People should look after each
themselves; in the end, we are all other; in the end, we all need the
responsible for ourselves. support of our group to survive.
3. It is usually wrong to question the1 2 3 4 5 It is usually acceptable to question
authority of superiors. the authority of superiors.
4. I believe things at work should be 1 2 3 4 5 I believe things at work should
done by the book based on clear frequently be done through
and published policies. informal channels.
5. I always try to focus on doing one 1 2 3 4 5 I often find myself doing many
thing at a time. things at once.
6. It is important to harness nature 1 2 3 4 5 It is important to live in harmony
in order to improve our general with nature and modify our living
living conditions. conditions accordingly.
7. My principal responsibility is to1 2 3 4 5 My principal responsibility is to my
myself. family or group.
1© 2013 Richard M. Steers, Luciara Nardon, and Carlos Sanchez-Runde; all rights reserved.
The Cultural Values Survey was developed using MBA students from thirty-two countries studying
in both North America and Europe. It is designed for instructional use only.
Cambridge University Press, 2013. © Steers, Nardon, Sanchez-Runde Back to top M ANAGEMENT ACROSS CULTURES :DEVELOPING G LOBAL COMPETENCIES (SECOND EDITION )
8. It is my responsibility to do wha1 2 3 4 5 I have considerable freedom to do
my boss tells me to do. my job they way I think best.
9. The best way to reduce 1 2 3 4 5 The best way to reduce uncertainty
uncertainty in a society is to in a society is for people to follow
make and enforce rules the wishes of their superiors.
governing people’s behavior.
10. I usually assume that an 1 2 3 4 5 I usually assume that an
appointment will begin on time. appointment will begin late.
11. Rewards should be based on 1 2 3 4 5 Rewards should be based on
performance. seniority or need.
12. Protecting individual rights i1 2 3 4 5 Preserving group harmony is more
more important than preserving important than protecting
group harmony. individual rights.
13. The best decisions are usually 1 2 3 4 5 The best decisions are usually
made at the top of the made towards the middle or
organization. bottom of the organization.
14. Decisions should usually be made 1 2 3 4 5 Decisions should usually be made
based on objective criteria (e.g., based on subjective criteria (e.g.,
rules, policies). hunches, personal considerations).
15. Very few things distract me from 1 2 3 4 5 I often get distracted from my work
my work. by other activities.
16. Most problems in society could 1 2 3 4 5 Most problems in society require
be resolved quickly if people patience and extensive
would assert themselves and take consultation with others; there are
charge of the situation. no quick fixes.
17. Individual decision-making 1 2 3 4 5 Group decision-making usually
usually leads to better decisions. leads to better decisions.
Cambridge University Press, 2013. © Steers, Nardon, Sanchez-Runde Back to top M ANAGEMENT A CROSS CULTURES :DEVELOPING G LOBALC OMPETENCIES (SECOND EDITION)
18. People should be promoted 1 2 3 4 5 People should be promoted based
based on their status or position on their accomplishments or merit.
19. Rule enforcement should be 1 2 3 4 5 Rule enforcement should be
applied to everyone equally and modified based on individual
without exception. circumstances.
20. I tend to be very impatient to get1 2 3 4 5 I am usually patient in trying to get
things done. things done.
21. Success comes through taking 1 2 3 4 5 Success comes through working
decisive actions to overcome new with others in a collaborative way
challenges. to meet new challenges.
22. The best way to do business is 1 2 3 4 5 The best way to do business is
based on wri