March 31 st
- traumatic neurosis
- PTSD – post traumatic stress disorder
o very common among soldiers – but can occur to anyone with an accident
o symptoms include: hallucinations, dreams about the situation that caused it
general feeling of anxiety
- all neurosis are the outcome of a conflict of 2 fundamental drives – libido and ego
o pleasure and good instincts
- problem with that explanation is that its hard to see how PTSD is connected to neurosis
– it is not about sex or the libido – so why do people experience this?
o re-living the experience is traumatizing, not pleasurable – s0 how does it fit in?
- in 1919, the Venice psychoanalysts looked into PTSD – after world war
- pg 588: beyond the pleasure principle
- the compulsion to repeat at its most extreme
- fundamental opposit