PHL105Y5 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Justin Trudeau, Intentionality, Materialism
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Philosophy of Mind Lec #5
Types of problem of other minds: how do we know what other people are
thinking or feelings?
How do we know that other people have thoughts and feelings at all?
Maybe everyone but you is a “zombie”, a meat machine
oMaybe everyone else’s “mental lights” are out
The mind-body problem: what is the relationship between the mental and
- Why are some things conscious and other things not?
- What’s the di#erence between a brain and a silicone chip?
- Could a being made of silicone chip ever be conscious?
Distinctive Features of the mind
Minds are di#erent from other things like rocks, galaxies and sandwiches:
1. Intentionality: minds can have thoughts about things
- Imagine Justin Trudeau: your mind is having a thought
about something far away, a person over in Ottawa.
- Other things can be about stu#: words, symbols, pictures,
- But only because they are produced by our minds!
2. Consciousness: minds have experiences, sensations, feelings.
- Consider the sights and sounds your experiencing right
- Why do we have these experiences, but rocks and
- And what is a conscious experience, in physical terms?
You can’t crack open someone’s skull and see the
experiences they’re having.
Cartesian Dualism: French philosopher
Mind Vs. Matter
Mind and matter are 2 separate kinds of things, 2 substances
1. Matter: exists in space and time
- Rocks, galaxies and sandwiches…and brains too
2. Mind: exists in time only
- Minds do not exist in space
oIf they did, they would have a location
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version