PSY100 Lecture#6: Learning
- Hypnosis is a state of consciousness characterized by: deep relaxation, suggestibility
- Changes in consciousness can be brought on by: meditation, hypnosis, drug ingestion, religious
- Meditation is the best mental medicine: Focuses breathing, physiological responses, cognitive
responses, attentional focus, quieting the mind (self-talk), alpha waves (EEG)
- Focused breathing is a matter of meditation. There’s tensional focus and mind focus. In through
nose and out through the mouth from the diaphragm. Brings about a relaxation response (shuts
down fight or flight response).
- Say a mantra over and over again, it’s one thing to focus on.
- What is meditation doing that’s so amazing? Decreases heart rate, blood pressure, increases
relaxation response, lowers blood lactate levels, increases performance of immune system
functions, increases pre frontal cortex activity, lowers parietal lobe activity. Correlated with better
mood, superior mental health, improved longevity and better physical health. Lowers chance of