Bilingualism does not interfere with performance in either language
• Vocabulary size
• Code switching< like cc
Children fluent 2 languages exhibit superior
• Attention control
• Concept formation
• Analytical reasoning
• Cognitive flexibility
Can children tv perception improve language processing?
• Do not learn from watching tv
• No screen time for under 2
Baby Mozart has been sued for making claims about their videos
Can children learn from children tv?
• Tested 12-18 months
• No more learning than controlled
• Best learning in children who played with adults
Is the object choice paradigms the only way to test comprehension children? Is there another
way to test it?
Comprehension at 6 months of age, infant looks at mom upon hearing mommy
They show this effect regardless adult or baby feet
At 6 months, children know more words then their parents think, not just proper names and
What is the origin of knowledge ?
• Worked with Alfred binet in france on developmental of standardized IQ tests
• Career was launched thanks to keen power of observation
• Observation -> how they changed
Thought the child as scientists
• Assimilation: occurs when new experiences are readily incorporated into a chi8ld's
• Accommodation: theories are modified on experience
• Equilibrium: assimilated most of theories but sometimes have to accommodate their
theories to adjust to new experiences.
• Periodically, children realize current theories are inadequate, spending more time
commendation then assimilation
• Disequilibrium appears, most recognize theories in a progress known as
Very major changes in the way children view and think about the world that occur three times
1. Sensorimotor <0-2> 2. Pre-operational <2-7>
3. Concrete operational <7-11>
4. Formal operations <11+>
• Birth to two years
• Infants knowledge of the world based on senses and motor stages.
• Six substages:
1. Reflex act,1month
2. Primary circular reactions, 1-4 mon
3. Secondary circular reactions, 4-8 mon
Object permanence test :
• The realization of object continue to exist when tey are n longer visible
• Before 5-6 months children don’t search for objects are hidden from the view.
• By about 8 months
• But infants make the a not b error
• Infants will often search for hidden objects where they found it previously rather than
here they last saw it placed.
Summary of sensorimotor stage
• Sensory inputs and motor capabilities become coordinated
• Learn more by acting on it
• Knowledge is sensorimotor infant becomes more and more intensional, differentiating
means and ends
• 2-7 yrs.