PSYB30: Personality Psychology
Lecture #12 (03/30/2009)
The Road to Theoretical Integration
***[TEXT] Table 1.1
Presents 5 dimensions, - All of these are dichotomies; mutually exclusive terms
Evaluating Core Philosophies
1) Freedom or determinism?
[Related idea: conscious or unconscious?]
2) Biological or social influences?
[Related idea: heredity or environment?]
-takes on the INTERACTIONIST theory
-one that recognizes biology(heredity) but that’s not all that comprises us b/c
environment also has influence
-social interactions make us unique
3) Uniqueness or universality of character?
4) Proactive or reactive behavior?
-basically asking: are people choosing what they’re going to do next OR are
they reacting to things put upon them by either the environment or internal
-PROACTIVE doesn’t necessarily mean coming from within cause they can be
reacting to dry states (ie. hunger)
[Related: teleology or causality?]
-teleology (Maslow)positions argue that ppl are future oriented (looking at
current to predict the future instead of looking at the past)
5) Optimistic or pessimistic?
[Related idea: plastic or plaster development?]
Example: Sigmund Freud
1) Deterministic; unconscious influences people have little choice in what they
2) Mostly biological; early life experience key
3) Biological similarities and social differences
4) Largely reactive drive reduction
5) Generally pessimistic (especially later) Evaluating Theory Utility
1) Research generativity favors older theories cuz the older a theory is the
longer its been around and more research that has been done on it
3) Organizes data (i.e., e