PSY 240 Legal vs. Ethical Issues Lecture
- Laws: set of rules you must follow
- Heinz Dilemma: ex: stealing drugs for dying wife
- Ethics: set of guidelines that you should follow
- Power of mental health professionals
- Thomas Szasz argues that psychological conditions are not medical, they are
people not functioning properly (ex: can’t hold a job and can’t do things that other
- Psychopathology doesn’t usually get treated until it becomes a problem for
someone else (social conflict).
- Dysfunctional behaviors
- Substance abuse disorder, judgment impaired and reaction time, car accident and
hurt someone. But mental disorder does not get you out of jail. Can’t declare
someone as legally insane.
o Only power that psychologists have in the legal system are being
o Judge/jury will take in testimony
o Forensic psychologist
Canadian legal system
- Constitutional law: not changeable
o A set of rights and law (Charter of Rights and Freedoms)
o Puts a limit on the types of laws that the government can impinge.
o Only country in the world that docks the rights of people with mental
- Statuary law: Provincial, differs from province to province
o Guide the leg