PSY311 Lecture 1 Jan 6
Wht is social development?
Social development is a branch of developmental psychology.
We see child development as a major theme or approach not branch. Cuz u may study
If ure interested in these of children, then it is developmental psychology
subfield that studies:
- “Changes over time in the child’s understanding of attitudes toward and actions with
- “the small child’s activities and feelings control of emotions and will”
Includes affective, cognitive and social aspects of development
The child has to see the mother.
Social psychology focuses on how we relate to others and how others influence our behaviors,
feelings and thoughts
Adults vs children
Sociology is different. Focus on a grp. Social psychology focus on individual
Wht study children?
Study children cuz of interest. Wht is my child suppose to do at age x?
- Practical implications:
Wht we expect at a certain age. Making curriculums.
Wht is normal vs abnormal. What shld be able to do wht is not/
- Theoretical implications: lg acquisition
Wht dun read and write b4 talk?
Why alwys talk, read write. In this order?
Why puberty hv during that age. Not other period.
Also cuz of interest in adults. To understand why sdults behave the way they do.
- Wht would life be like if im the only child,
- if I had many siblings,
- if parents got divorced.
- If we didn’t immigrate to Canada.
- Mother is in depression. Wht may be the impact?
Evolutionary development of the field
2 periods of social development research
1. Emergence: baby biographies 2. Middle period: maturationalist approach: there’s a biological blueprint that unfolds.
Understand the chart and provide a diagram to understand the sequence
Not asking questions about why. Its all biological driven. Kids will go thru puberty no matter what.
- Env approach: determine how child learns
- Socializations: psychoanalytic and sociological theory.