Difficulties with deal culture approach
- Ideally the child will learn English.
- Most minorities learn and are familiar with the majority culture.
- Technological and medical advances are deemed as inappropriate and offensive.
- The deaf community regards cochlear implants as child abuse.
- Advocacy has always been for removing barriers – the deaf community is building them.
Solution 1: Cued speech
- Spoken English + hand signs that enable a deaf person to distinguish between similar lip
movements with different meanings.
- Speech and Manual languages
- Deaf community doesn’t like it – slap to ASL. Despised oralism English for the deaf
- Proponents cite success stories where such students went far in life.
Solution 2: Total communication
Solution 3: Bilingual-Bicultural
- Usually starts off with sign language and builds on that knowledge to teach English as a
- Many parents feel that this just smuggles in ASL and English will be dropped later or dry
- Age of introducing second language varies according to program. Some programs teach