SOC100H5 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Proletariat, Feminist Theory, Determinism
3 pages83 viewsWinter 2013
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
January 15, 2013
Theory 1 Continued…
- Max Weber: built a career around criticizing Karl Marx
- Wasn’t against everything Marx said, but he said Marx got a few
- Marx: key movers in society are bourgeoisie and proletariat and you
have to look at conflict between two classes in order to find society’s
- Weber wrote approx. a century later than Marx.
- Weber: Middle class provide stability in society, they mediate conflict
between upper and lower.
- The stronger the middle class, the less conflict in society
The first to promote middle class was Aristotle
- Marx thought the system of capitalism and distinction between
proletarians and bourgeoisie would disappear.
- Weber said it probably wouldn’t happen, especially in the West
- Weber is often pointed out as one key movers of symbolic
- Weber emphasized social microstructures between people
- Sociologists should focus on meaning that is produced through our
interactions with one another.
- Other sociologists: Start with big picture and work down to small
- Weber: start with small picture and work our way up
- Weber gave a critique of a theory called Structural Determinism
- Structural Determinism: Individuals are mere by-products of the
socialization processes we have gone through, no autonomy as
individual and our interactionism between each other is already
- One’s feeling and interactions, the way we behave, how well we do in
school is determined by class background
- There is some evidence that this is partially correct
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.