March 28, 2013
Environment and Social Movements
Environment: Climate Change/Global Warming
- An Inconvenient Truth
- Is Toronto addressing global warming?
- Report to the Parks and Environment Committee
- Chair and Councillor Norm Kelly
Doesn’t believe in global warming
“Life is so complex that it’s very difficult to get a handle on
- Recombinant DNA, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
Long term health impacts on organisms including humans
They present short term gains in increased yield
Big risk is wiping out all non-genetically modified species.
Farmers internationally cultivate seeds and change them
to make them better all the time
Some argue that this is a type of genetic modification
Challenging for small scale production
I need notes from Jia.
Inequality and Biotechnology
- Small farmers adversely affected by agribusiness and seed market
domination by multinationals
- Illegal to save seeds… WHAT?!
Social Distribution of Risk
- Attawapiskat First Nations community and DeBeers
Have an ogoing struggle with mining and poor living conditions
Something opned the diamond mine
They spent approx. $1mil
Traditionally they hunt