Feminism Lecture Notes
2 pages55 viewsFall 2009
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
-the theory of patriarchy that came out o feminism didn’t come out until 40 year ago
(1970’s). Very recent according to the history of sociology
- Women weren’t mentioned in sociology until the late 70’s except when involving family
cause that was the only role they were given
-has a lot of research to back it
- a theory of gender inequality
-Marxists argue that social/class relations are most important; feminism argues gender
inequality to be more important
- 3 most common variables of inequality: race, class, and gender (IG)
- Inequality is when a group or some groups in a social world have more of something than
another group (power, money, etc.)
-difference is when different groups have differences between them such as jobs
-Control over others (based on a theory called patriarchy which discusses male domination
over all aspects of women lives but also there are many men that are controlled by more
-gender is defined as the social consequence of being male or female
- almost 50years ago women had their legal rights stripped away when she gets married.
-the creation of gender is the primary cause of all forms of inequality including control of
reproduction. Gender is hierarchical and that men usually have more power.
-“the powerless male”: classical case where men are taught to be powerful and strong and
winners and to make money. If they don’t make a good income, hate their bosses, and don’t
win with women then it usually leads to domestic violence.
-middle class capitalist model
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.