November 14 2013 - soc211
• scheff asserts that, among residual rule breakers, labeling is the single, most
important cause of deviant careers
• scheff asks why are some labeled and other ignored?
• Social reaction a function of:
• (1) degree, amount and visibility of rule breaking
• (2)power of rule breaking, and social distance between him and agents of
• (3) tolerance level of community
• (4) availability of alternative, non-deviant roles.
sub cultural theory
• sub cultural theorists view deviance as a re