Lecture 7 20140405
• Gender as Institutional Logic
• Processing crime and diversification of crime (organizational structure of police)
Donald Black states that crime is committed when people cannot attain justice. Example: settle feuds,
If we believe that we all have to have the same idea or agreement on the criminal justice system
Longstanding Trends in Police Processing of Domestic Violence
Domestic violence viewed as a “noncrime” aspect of police work
Legitimate police disputes partitioned from family disputes
o Police have been involved but treated as separate duty rather than preventing social order or
DV calls treated as “low priority,” but “high risk”
o Police say that crazy women with wives and angry man/husband and that high risk problems is
associated with domestic violence calls but some say that it is low priority though they are
What explains police processing of Peagler and other victims of domestic violence?
o One answer: Police subculture
Who are the police, what is policing?
“We are dedicated to delivering police services, in partnership with our communities, to keep Toronto
the best and safest place to be.”
Toronto Police Services
• Professional Policing" • Community Policing (Broken Windows Policing)"
• IntelligenceLed/Preventative Policing: better than stop and frisk
Over 5,000 ofﬁcers in TPS"
Mostly white men"
14% of TPS is visible minorities (compared to 43% of population)"
17% of TPS is women"
Women are almost twice as likely as men to have university degree"
Who are the police, what is it policing?
1913: Mary Minty & Maria Levitt"
• Police sheltered the homeless and they also introduced the father paying for child support
• Thus, women were called into the profession because they would be good at the job, so
women were encouraged to join the police enforcement (through feminism activism)
They worked in Integral to Morality Bureau: focus on criminals, processing criminals as apposed to
male officers, and hang out in prostitution brothels
1945: Equal pay and uniforms": some police women were called flight attendants because they did not
have proper police hats
1972: End of forced resignation for mothers"
1974: Women are armed"
Mission: police are tough and emotionally stoic
Action and Excitement
Us/Them Authoritarian Conservatism
Suspicion and Cynicism
Accomplishes three things:
1. Provides a “how to” manual for doing police work: training
2. Negotiates the “dirty work” of police: Police can kill and can legally kill, they always do
3. Reproduces public law enforcement as gendered organization
Gender as Institutional Logic (Acker, 1990)
1. Division of labour according to gender
Symbols and images that explain and reinforce division: how people interact and what language they