What is community?
- They assume that the loss of the cohesive neighbourhood contributed to this disorder
- Sociological concept of community forms biasis of a distinct CP philosophy
Death of the social – N.rose
- The integration intp a cpmmunity is premised on socialization:
Norms and Values
Reinforcement of authority – need to reinforce these authority figures that exist.
Individual and collective consciousness – you hear about talks of good prevention
programs will foster these thoughts.
2 models of community crime prevention
1. Community mobilization model – mobilizing community members.
To reduce the opportunity for crime by fostering these networks. By developoing
neibourhoods, by organizing residents.
Keep an eye out for suspicious things.
Assumes collective, active and caring neighbourhood will promote informal social
Hence contribute to the prevention of crime and disorder. Ie. Neighbourhood watch
Designed for people to be viligent and be concerned about the community.
2. Community development model- developing the community .
Focuses on more physical/ socioeconomic factors and developing a neigh bourhoos
or at risk groups. Those who need resources.
Root causes of crime
Main differences – CM more situational – focus reduce criminal opportunity
CD addresses the causes and contributors of crime at the local level.
Also rely on social insitutions such asfamilies and schools. Crime prevention is
1. Community Based Approach
Private citizens play a major role in maintaining order.
Encourage residents to be responsible and proactive for own safety and security
Community itself is the focal point. Address the problems by going to specific
communities than need help. Community needs to identify and re