This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Lecture 1 – SOC 316
•DEFINITION OF CRIME PREVENTION
•WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CRIME PREVENTION?
•WHAT FUELS CRIME PREVENTION
•THE IMPACT ON EVERYDAY LIFE
-DEFINITION OF CRIME PREVENTION
“the anticipation, recognition, and appraisal of a crime risk and the initiation of action to remove
or reduce it.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CRIME PREVENTION?
• All citizens
The police or security organizations are a central component, but crime prevention is
accomplished and encouraged among all citizens and groups in society (i.e., families, schools,
communities, the labour market, in addition to the criminal justice system
CRIME PREVENTION: CENTRAL TENET
• Public safety is not the exclusive domain of the criminal justice system.
• It involves the proactive participation of individual citizens, communities local agencies,
etc., in partnership with the police and other government agencies.
HOW DOES CRIME PREVENTION RELATE TO YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE?
4 MAIN AREAS OF CRIME PREVENTION
• Law Enforcement
• Developmental Crime Prevention
• Community Crime Prevention
• Situational Crime Prevention
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version