Questions for the first week (May 8, 2012)
Questions for the Introduction (P.1 – 2).
1. Why does punishment puzzle us and disappoint our expectations?
2. How do you understand the meaning of the term ‘cumulative argument’?
3. Why is multidimensional approach to punishment very important?
4. Why does the author write about punishment as a ‘central object’ of social theory?
Chapter 1.1. (P. 1- 10).
1. What is the aim of the book?
2. Why is punishment nowadays seen as a chronic social problem?
3. Why do taking-for-granted ways of thinking about punishment preclude us from
understanding this social institution?
4. Why are the ‘failures’ of punishment less tolerable than those of the other social
5. Describe the ‘newly revived’ forms of thinking about punishment’. Why are they