Nov 26 th
Punishment Outside the Prison: Policing of Urban Disorder
- Ontario Safe Streets Act
- what was the impact on youth involved in squeegee work?
o some methodological limitations
o evidence suggestive of sig. consequences
- what is at the root of these efforts to police urban disorder?
o link to broken windows theory of policing
- should we care? What, if anything, should be done?
Punishment Outside the Prison: Governing Crime Through Families
- ‘governing through crime’ thesis:
o retrenchment of social welfare state
o crime as a tool for doing neoliberal governance
- what is the political opportunity provided by the policing of domestic violence
o child custody disputes?
o one-strike and public housing, insurance?
- crime-centered families: what makes families tempting targets for governance?
Punishment Outside the Prison: School-to-Prison Pipeline
- criminalization in the school arena: shift toward the crime control paradigm
- link to deindustrialization and