VCC336 Lecture 8
- GREEN MARKETING AND CONSUMPTION
- Class survey
- Ads as abstraction
- Ads as ideology
- Green consumerism
- On a scale of 1-5, how concerned are u about environmental issues?
- I = P x C X T
- An estimate of how much land and water resources are needed to meet the consumption level
of an individual given info about their use of technology
- In short, how a person’s lifestyle impacts the planet.
- To calculate an Ecological Footprint, the consumption of energy, biomass (food, fibre), building
material, water and other resources are converted into a normalized measure of land area
called ‘global hectares’ (gha).
- In NA, we consume ¼ of the world’s globally. 5% of global popul, but we consume ¼ of the
Is it really a matter of people (consumers) versus NATURE?
- There is this division between us and nature. We want to be safe. There are other people who
say we are a part of nature. We are just smart animals who walk upright.
WHAT IS NATURE?
- Nature is both a) physical and material world b) a social construct
- TAOIST: humans are part of the natural world, but everything should be valued for its own sake
not for what it does for us - BUDDHIST: everything is linked and nothing exists in and of itself, but only humans are capable
of conscious action and therefore it is our responsibility to care for all life
- ANIMISTIC: the world around us, ‘nature’ and its component parts, is embodied with spirits that
are to be respected, revered or feared
- ISLAMIC: Allah has given humans/authority over all nature, nature is there to serve man yet they
are responsible for taking care of it in his name
- JUDEO-CHRISTIAN: much like Islamic beliefs, humans are separate from nature, nature is
subordinate to humans and it is there to serve their needs
- SCIENTIFIC: “nature” refers to all observable phenomena of the physical or material universe,
and is not seen to include spiritual or supernatural existence. This definition essentially includes
all things human as well
REPRESENTING NATURE IN ADS