Women and gender studies week 1 lecture notes
What is women studies? Issues pertaining to women cross all sorts of fields.
5 basic components of feminism:
- Gender is a social construction
- Gender is a social experience
- Hierarchy relations between the sexes – 1 gender has more power than the other
- Belief that gender hierarchies are wrong – feminists believe we must change this, but it might be
impossible to do so.
- Commitment to change in the direction of creating equality
Women’s studies as academic discipline:
- Late 1960s- early 1970s
- 2nd wave
- Universities = study of men
- “study from below”
- Women’s voices, experiences, and histories
- Activism and scholarship