Anthro Lec02 notes
Assignment guide lines are posted
What do anthropologists do?
Fieldwork, which tells them apart from other social scientist. Anthropologists often share
objects. Amongst anthropologist fieldwork is known to be the right of passage.
- is what anthropologist write up after their fieldwork (example would be the reading for
today Bali and his fieldwork). It is also an analysis of a particular culture, answering the
TXHVWLRQ³ZK\GRSHRSOHSUDFWLFHcertain culture, why is significant by looking at
What does ethnography/fieldwork accomplish?
- The more detailed a description, the more likely the reader would be able to see
the picture from a native point of view (thick description) ± it goes beneath the
surface level showing the context.
- Example of Geertz, winking,
- Context arises from fieldwork and technology
- Fieldwork is a unique thing that scientists do which differentiates between
anthropologists and historians
A brief history of anthropology
- Early psychologists were strongly linked by Darwin. Who talked about humanity?
Culture or civilization LVWKDWFRPSOH[SROHFXVWRPVODZVUXOHVZRUOGDUW«
- All cultures can be ranked by hierarchy by most civilized to least civilized.
- Early psychologists thought that all cultures went through 3 different stages, 1st
magical thinking, 2nd religious thinking, 3rd, and scientific or rational thought.
(Stages of evolution).
offices, and they catalogued all the information of different cultures which was in
the early days.
- It waVQ¶WXQWLOSHRSOHFDPHRIWKH³9HUDQGD´DQGVWDUWHGWRFRSHZLWKQHZ
- In early days there is 2 types of anthropology, 1st social anthropology and cultural