Anthropology lec 8
- Fat body vs. thin body
- Cross cultural comparison
- Our own cultural beliefs, values and assumptions.
- As the skin body is seen to be sexy and beautiful
- In north America, our standard of female beauty is one that is very slim generally lean , well-
muscled for women and young.
- Our own obsession with slimness is just as fatness is for the Azawagh Arabs, as they feel that it is
- Obsession with thinness in north America- ][Zu][(µoZÁ}}with
- Although we live in an age with media saturation and media influence it is to easy to blame the
- Women body
Crystallization of culture in body ideals
- /Ç]vP}À}]Æov]}v}ÁZÇ(v]vP]]u}vUvZ}v[ want ot say
that fattening is important because they live in the dessert.
- She wants to avid saying that fattening represents many wives, how it represents wealth
fattening beautiful and you have to understand Islam there kinship values
- Image in the media has allot to do with the perceptions we have of things today
- In media- white people are the norm , they are known to be good looking,
- It was from Susan Bordo than Popeno got much of his ideas from
- He talked about diseases, super thin bodies, and anorexia, argued that it was a crystallization
as a petit, as a protest, evens a symbolic one it is a doom to failure.
- She is not blaming the media, it has been around for 50 years and that being slimmer has
become more fashionable.
- It is about more than fashion, because fashion come and go, she is going beyond the idea of
- There are three contemporary issues, that causes us to overvalue slimness
- 1) historical and cultural distain: we value the mind over the body
- 2) it is our fear of loss of control over the future
- 3) the value that women are gaining more and more power in the world, shifting genders,
- These are the key trends that are affecting the body,