ANTB19H3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Exogamy, Onchocerciasis, Time Complexity
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
ANTB19 Week 8 Wednesday, 31rd Oct, 2012
Final Exam 2 hours
Exam questions on the last lecture
Clan – the largest group of agnates (marriage is forbidden)
Reciprocity ( lineage is marked by gift giving “ you look after me I look after you” and ritual
10 – 12 generations of Dominant Clan (Diel)
- Lineages (4-6 generations)
Tribe (Territory) Politics
- Highly segmented
- Clan – agnates (trace through father), can also trace their relationships cognates (through
both mother and father), the Nuer called this relationship MAR
- Lineage system / Patro-lineage is concerned only with agnatic kin (through the father), the
- P.198 EP: lineage values are thus are essentially relative like tribal values (it depends where
you are), the processes of lineage segmentation and political segmentation are to some
extent coordinate. In the real world, it’s hard to tell lineage system apart, because the
players explain their actions in either kinship terms or in political terms, in other words,
when there is a fued the families. They describe different sociological structures.
- The distinction is one the anthropologists are making to describe the social structure of the
Nuer. To describe how the different structure of the society are inter-related, and help to
reproduce the society over time.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version