- It used anthropological data, perspectives, theory and methods to identify, assess and
solve contemporary problems.
Examples: Development Anthropology, Marketing, Spying, Military Intelligence.
- Early applications
- Application central concern of early anthropology in Great Britain and US.
- Malinowski advocated that “practical anthropology” could be used in governing
- Contemporary military applications
- During WW2, number of Americans anthropologists studies Japanese and
- CORDS(Civil Operations and Revolutionary development support) during
- Human terrain program in Iraq and Afghanistan has used applied anthroplogy
for its functions.
- All this programs have taken the criticism that they break the ethics.
- AAA disapproves of the Human terrain.
- Branch of applied Anthropology focussed on social issues in, and the cultural
dimension of economic development.
- development help plan and guide policy.
- Foreign aid does not go where it is most usually needed. - Planners interests do not always coincide with the best interests of the local.
Work that the anthropologists do:
- Making standardized brands and products to different culture groups.
- Each time companies like McDonald expand into a different nation it must devise
culturally appropriate strategy.
- Initially Brazilian ad campaign failed in a culture that values large leisurely lunches.
- So the anthropologists found that Sunday evening would be appropriate for cultures
like this where the cooks take a day off on sundays.The ad campaign was successful
- Language and culture are like two sides of a coin. Language is a part of culture but
also a tool through which culture is communicated.
- Language makes human differ from other animals. Human language has full
developed language that contains grammar, syntax and speech which the other
- It is used for communicating cultural ideas and symbolic from one generation tot he
other and also generate new cultural ideas.
- logic of culture = logic of its language (how it orders and classifies the world).
- Noam Chomsky (linguist) argues that human brain contains a limited set of rules
(universal grammar) for organizing language , so that all languages have a common
structural basis. All have similar linguistic ability and thought process. NONVERBALCOMMUNICATION
- Language (spoken and written) is our primary means of communication.
- Kinesics is the study of non-verbal communication through body movements, stances,
gestures and expressions. They convey information and meaning and status.
e.g playing poke.
- Non-verbal communication varies across cultures just as language does.
- Its not just the body language that conveys information.
- Clothing is also considered non-verbal communication.
- They have call-systems. They are similar to langu