Week 2: ANTB21h3
Performativity: words and society and how it forms a society.
- Theme: relationship between language, performativity and social action
- Different forms of language – action through speaking. This idea of saying is doing.
- key ideas from the readings: the main point is that the performativity is that what
you say. Performing as a concept is not the same as common usage of performance-
not exactly what we’re talking about. How did we think about language before?
- 1 the Chomsky perspective was looked upon.
Main theme: conceptual trajectory of “performativity” 1 she says that the
idea emerged from Chomsky when he was looking as 1. competence vs.
-Competence: knowledge about what you’re talking about. Unconscious
knowledge that speakers have. - ideal - There wouldn’t be any silence or a or
um. Which is impossible in reality. Everything will be perfect.
- he’s into intentionality – the way you speak with profs or TA’s are different
than how you talk to your friends.
- Performance – actual, institutional context. Having the language in a
context. Putting unconscious knowledge into context.
Critiques: anthropologist are redefining the notion of competence. There are
boundaries within language. For some anthropologists performance is more
important than competence.
Dell Hymes – competence of use. Its not only the competency but also the
ability to use it. People learning new language