ANTB21: Week 8 – Race and Ethnicity
* Assignment – 5-6 readings including at least one full week reading after midterms.
- how to challenge the seeming natural quality of many social identities
(gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc.)
- i.e. gender – biological fact: testosterone VS estrogen
- the performative aspects of social identities;
- how language is used to help achieve them;
- how the complexity of language
What are Race and Ethnicity?
- “core” qualities:
o race (color and physiognomy)
o physiognomy (facial characteristics)
- VS other associated qualities:
o Interactional behavior (language use)
o Consumption (including food)
o Residence patterns
o Dress codes
o Type of work
o Gender roles
o Climate and environment
o Character, etc.
- * all these are signs of race and ethnicity
- race and ethnicity are not given by nature but are complex social