Main Ideas Labs Plant Pigments & Photosynthesis & Cell Respiration
Energy flows into an ecosystem as sunlight and ultimately as heat, while the chemical
elements essential to life are recycled.
- About 40% of the energy in a glucose molecule is transferred to ATP during cellular
respiration making about 36-38 ATP.
- occurs in the cytoplasm
- During glycolysis each glucose molecule is broken down into 2 molecules of the
compound pyruvate. In eukaryotic cells, pyruvate enters the mitochondrion
- From there it is oxidized to CO2. ATP is than generated.
- has 10 steps that are broken down into 2 main phases
1-3 energy is in the form of ATP. So ATP is hydrolyzed to ADP in two steps
7-10 glycolysis substrate level phosphorylations occur. The formation of ATP through the
transfer of a phosphate group to ADP Krebs cycle / Citric Cycle
- occurs in the matrix of the mitochondria
- active transport
- only occurs when oxygen is present, and processes lipids, proteins and carbohydrates
- amounts for the most energy extracted from food
- has two stages
- Electron transport chain
- Pumps in the christae
- Moves the NADH and FADH2 => redox power