English- Lecture Four 11-04-10 2:44 PM
- We only know the world through words
- Myths of Origin- myths that suggest how we began; disappears and then
we begin it ourselves
- “God spoke the word, and the world was then formed”- old testament
- if you change the word, you change the world
- we believe perception is the world
William blacke, the eye altering, alters all
- cannot stop racism because it works too well
- myths of progress- roads…take you to a predestined place
- myth of origin- we go back to it to rationalize a bad decision
what kills Dorian Gray is his myth of origin
- if you give someone their myth of origin, that means you control them.
- “when you influence someone, you give them their soul”- Henry (novel-
- Myths of origin become our future, in our beginning is our end. We can
interrogate our beginning; self is a myth and has the capacity to pave our
future, and can even get us fast.
- When doing a myth of origin, the toughest part to come up with is why
there is suffering, death and cruelty? Not hard to come up with myths on
why people are good, why life is great.
- Challenge of myths- Death, suffering, why we do things that we regret,
- The fall in Adam and Eve’s story- they were told not to eat from the tree of
knowledge; and that there is a snake (Satan) in the garden. Eve was far
away from Adam in the other end of the garden, snake came up to her and
started talking to her and said why don’t you eat the apple. Eve says, god
said don’t and snake says so what who is he (god). He doesn’t want you to
eat it because that’s the ‘secret of how he controls you’.
- Satan is great spin doctor in our world, snake spins it and says ‘you are
being controlled by god, and you can pull the plug in this make-believe world
and become God’. Makes sense to Eve and takes a bite, tells Adam and says