FROM COLONIALISM TO MARKET TRIUMPHALISM
- Colonial Rule:
• Colonial rule identifies countries that ruled territories prior to WWII.
• Colonial countries included much of Europe, North America and Britain.
• They colonized most of continent of Africa and Asia.
- Colonial Medicine:
• Mainly concerned with serving Western interests
• Directed towards urban areas
• Mainly used for economic growth
• Led to emergence of ‘tropical medicine’
• Technocratic, vaccines, for instance through DDT interventions to address malaria
• Helped to promote racial segregation
- Tropical Medicine:
Malaria, geographical immigration, issues related to tropical diseases.
Focuses only on one particular disease at a time. Technical intervention at a time for a disease.
- Post War Visions of Health and Development:
• Internationalism of helath. UN agencies such as WHO and UNICEF were set up after WWII
• Expansion of health from a small elite to the wider population
• Expansion of health started from a smal