March 19, 2014 7:19 PM
- Goodkindet al: 7 recommendations, how those recommendations look in practice
○ Shifting evidence from evidence based practises to practice-based evidence:
Evidence based practise: qualitative, take people who have similar characteristics assign them to a control group. Biomedical perspective
(based on clinical studies, peer-reviewed). Starts off by asking a question, acquiring knowledge to test hypothesis, is it effective, applying it
out, and analyze + adjust.
Practise based evidence: instead of asking question "does it work", they find something that's working and figure out why it's working. Model:
observe what's working, ask question what part of this is working, acquiring the knowledge, appraise what works, and analyzes
○ Fund infrastructure to connect behavioural health and primary health services
Behavioural health: mental health services, fund connections between mental health services and primary health services.
Why would they work better
○ Requiring mental health systems to take into account the current realities of native youth
Greatest threats to Native Youth health: alcohol abuse, high suicide rates, incarceration, gender-based violence
Communities had to practise resilience, bond together
Chandler, Lalonde: cultural continuity markers: the more control that a communityhas over it's own self-regulation, the lower the rates of
○ Provide funding for programs that connect preventions and treatment
Cultural cohesion,elder/youth partnerships, preservationof native languages, honouring traditional skills + life
Building community support for Aboriginal Youth: Preventionof Youth Suicide Attempts and Personal injury
○ Expand mechanisms for reimbursement for traditional healers
How do you accredit traditional healers and how do you connect those together?
Sweat lodge: like a sauna- spiritual/ religious intent
○ Create alternative licensing and credentialing for native service providers
Respecting inherent knowledge of these individuals, ask people who they go to for traditional healers
○ Governmental apology
Stealing resources, claimed land that is not ours
Residential schools: created for purpose to assimilate/westernizing, educate Indians so that they are not indians anymore.