Week 4- Lecture Notes Oct 4 2012
- Meaning of life
- Short and memorable
- With rhythm (easy to remember)
- Belongs to people
Sayings (how to distinguish proverbs and sayings?)
- Authored, we know who said it
- Not necessarily catchy and memorable
- Sayings of Confucius, the Taoteching, Sayings of Zen
- Use animals to represent human natures
- Used to educate children
- Come from a humble beginning
- Strong and powerful
- Do things that are difficult
- Connection with God
- Nitisara: Niti means good conduct. Sara means essence.
- Contents are un-datable. Collection of proverbs, gained wide popularity in the state of Kerala.
- The topic of Niti used to be an integral part of their curriculum in olden day. The idea was to
guide children in the proper direction at an impressionable age.
- Easy to teach and memorize.
- 3 on education, 1 on marriage, 1 on fate
- His logic of grouping
1) Act with care and caution
2) Education and training
3) Greatness of knowledge
4) Nature of the vicious
5) Who is happy?
6) Wealth is to be utilized
7) Always prudent
8) Man and nature
9) Support from wife
- Expands our view of proverb