Week 4, Lecture 4 HISA04 Themes in World History Mon 3 Oct 2012
Silver and Fur: Representations
Charles-Joseph Minard, Napoleon’s Russian Campaign 1812-1813
- Map represented the campaign and a turning point in French history.
- Movement of troops represented in names and shows their routes and correlated to
- Particularly affected by the weather—lost because they were not prepared for the
- Represents 6 types of information: geography, time, temperature, number of troops,
and the route and direction of their movement.
International Trade and the Development of Data Graphics
- Development in international trade played big role of these graphics, and part of
why is because of the scale; trade happening over large areas and extremely high
amount of silver going to China and back to Europe etc.
William Playfair (1759-1823) – A Scoundrel and Innovator
- Not formally trained engineered, trained apprentice, worked where the first steam
engine was built, worked around machines, extremely unreliable and dubious
- Accused of many things: ran off to France in French Revolution, wrong doing of a
company, flee back to London, accused of blackmail and extortion, convicted of
illegal scheme related to one of the banks he started.
- Between 1786 & 1801 he invented/transformed the: time-series line graph, bar
chart, pie chart.
Minard’s Illustration of 19 Century French wine Exports