Week 5, Lecture 5 HISA04 Themes in World History Thurs 10 Oct 2012
Wunderkammer – Room of Wonder
- Contained 3 types of objects
o Natualia (products of nature.)
o Arteficialia (or artefacta, the products of man.)
o Scientifica (the testaments of the human ability to know nature.
- Role of Unicorn Horn in Wunderkammer = Makes it seem like mythical creatures
- Precisely these object in someway dew the categories that you could take for
granted in analysing the world in a scholarly view.
- Some of these objects demonstrated high degree of human prowess.
- One of most common objects, repeatedly see, is coral. Fascinated Europeans.
- Coral = one of the typical objects because it was unclear to many if it was a
vegetable or mineral.
Hans Sloane and the Manatee Whip
- Preserved a lot of animals and objects that could represent the New World of their
colonies, and brought it back to England.
- Manatee Tail would have been what Columbus mistook as a mermaid.
- Displayed in a coffee shop in England; coffee shop were a place where people hung
out and chatted about contemporary stuff of t