Week 6, Lecture 6 HISA04 Themes in World History Wed 17 Oct 2012
Sweetness and Power Representations – Exploring the Slave Trade and the Voyages
Overview of the Slave Trade (1500-1900)
- Majority of European trade posts created were heavily fortified, especially ones that
- Slave Barracoon, Sierra Leone, 1840s
o Where slaves were kept before being put on ships.
- Ayuba Suleiman Diallo (Job Ben Solomon)
- Sold slaves, and sending them off to Americas.
- Unsuccessful in selling slaves to an English captain, so sold slaves to an African
- On way home, he was captured and sold to the English captain of whom he failed
to sell slaves to.
- Worked on a tobacco farm for about a year.
- Advantage set him above of other slaves—trained in an Islamic education, so he