Week 8, Lecture 8 HISA04 Themes in World History I Wed 31 Octst
The Jesuits in China (Continued)
- Taken advantageous from the encounter of Jesuits, but the Jesuits did not succeed as well
as they and thought and only converted a handful of the population.
- Jesuits helped map the Chinese territory when they were welcomed to the government.
- Brought with them astronomy and cartography in map-making and the Emperor allowed
them in the courts and government.
- Stories of the Bible were translated into Chinese and stories of the Bible visually were
created by Chinese artists using traditional artistic ways.
- Bible characters, locations, and items etc. were changed to ‘Chinese’ versions to make it
more local; examples: trees, tables, background etc. were all changed to commonly seen
things in China to give it a more local feel.
- Blending of Chinese traditions, culture, and religious figures i