American History to the Civil War:
Main Themes in the Course
• Diversity Ethnic/Racial and Regional
• Democracy The uncertain rise
• Columbus comes from Europe and thinks he is in India. Brits end up
taking over but the locals start a revolution and form a republic. Not long
after they collapse into a Civil War.
• There are many Indigenous societies before Columbus shows up.
• There were also many other explorers besides Columbus, such as the
French, English, Portuguese, and forced migrants from Africa.
• By the end of the 1840s, many immigrants come from Asia to the Western
• A LOT of people come to America for reasons of conquest, and for
reasons of enslavement.
• By the end of the American Revolution we see an Anglo-American society.
The term “white” was created, used as a way to differ themselves from
Africans and Indigenous people.
• It takes a social and physical war to turn the United States away from
collapsing on itself in the Civil War.
• American History can be seen as the rise of Democracy. It was not an
easy process, as there were a lot of twists and turns along the