• After Darwin creating the concept of survival of the fittest, lead to the discovery of genetics
• It was thought that people were designed to be this person since birth because of genetics.
Maybe our genetics control everything about us
• Psychologist believe that you will change based on the functions you experience in life.
• Scientists wanted to measure things objectively and not subjectively.
• Objectively: Measuring something, without you interpreting
• Stimulus: Something you can see and directly measure. You can objectify and quantify
• Behaviourist: Being able to scientifically measure.
• Subjectively: Referring to mental process.
• How did our behaviours get as complicated as they are in respect to stimuli
• Behaviourist believe: behaviour complexity emerges as a function of learning
• There are pre-existing links between stimuli and responses that are genetic and modified.
• For example babies are learned to root and suck (breast feeding)
• Stimuli’s: Something coming at you. Response: Protecting yourself.
• Anything that we feel that is a sense of danger, our parasympathetic