HLTB15 Lecture 3
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Cue Column: Note-TakingArea:
Modelsof Health & Illness
What is health?
Fill table, what does it mean to be healthy etc.?
• Physiological, psychological,and social wellbeing
• Changes due to perception
What is illness?
• Etiology - cause; effects day to day activities
• Social functioning limited
How do we conceptualize health?
• WHO (1948)
○ Look at how WHO defines health
○ Global health organization (World Health Organization)
○ Sets standards of health
○ Support evidence-based qualities leading to better health
○ Advise, and provide technical support to countries
○ Look at health trends
physical, mental, &social well-being;not just absenceof
○ Missing some things like econ/poli
○ What does "state" imply?
Can it change?; subject to change
Missing cultural/spiritual aspect
○ Led to many changes of health/health tech
Original Model of Health
• Before: Absence of disease
○ Leads to bio-medicalmodel
○ Fix with treatment/not; eventually dies
○ Have specific etiology
Assumption: body is a machine
○ Doesn't recognize subjective experience
Doesn't say about experience of illness
○ Psychologicaldisturbance doesn't causeillness
○ Just objective, and have data
○ Health seen as entity
Emergence of New Model of Health
• Health involves people; diff areas, socialcontexts
• Many factors play role in health