HLTB01 Lecture 1
Cue Column: Note-Taking Area:
• Gerontology: aging process study
• Aging multidisciplinary field; wide POVs
○ External validity
Generalized results are reflective of population
Does sample represent population?
More representative = more confidence level
Confounding factors influencingresults
Compromise confidence, i.e. relationship exists btwn 2 factors
□ Threat: ex. Aging is predictor in Alzheimer's
□ Threat: inaccurate; influenced answers/biased
□ Hawthorne effect: behave in a certain way; expectations
□ Threat: mood bias
• Threats to validity of study: SELECTION
○ Given sample
○ Concern: sample selection
Random sampling methods?
Equal chance of participation
Differences that are relevant before study
• Life span: avg amount of time individual expects to live
○ NOT life expectancy i.e. human 120 yrs
• How to achieve long life?
○ Diet & exercise?
○ Genetics determine life span?