IDS Week 8 Lecture
Development and Environment:
Climate Change and food security
Land use under environmental and economic risk
- Limits of the environment are being pushed.
Climate change, what is it?
- Strong correlation between greenhouse gases and temperature.
- Precipitation is decreasing in vulnerable subtropical zones.
Climate change and development
- Mitigation is mostly associated with international agreements and adaptation.
- Main premise of mitigation is buying and selling their own greenhouse emissions. They can sell
their emissions to those who are emitting higher .
The Kyoto Protocol
- The goal of stabilizing and decreasing the emission of Greenhouse gases.
One good thing that came out of these international agreements is something called REDD.
- Co-benefits: plant trees and gain money.
- What REDD was money exchanging.
- It is working well because it is relatively low capital requirements you either cut or plant trees
and very low capital is required.
Vulnerability and adaptation
- If the rainy season shortens or shifts in subtropical zones there will be major impacts on
- When you get to the degraded soil phase farmers will lay back and let the forest grow back.