1.Linguistics: scientific study of language
- It is uniquely human.
- To understand human mind.
- Extremely complex.
3. Linguist’s goal: build a model of mental Grammar that allows speakers to speak and
understand their native language.
4.The nature of the rules (mental grammar rules)
• The underlying patterns (rules) of language
are not obvious
• We have unconscious knowledge of the
patterns,and,rules,of our own language
*What is correct (for linguists )?
The sentence conforms to the hypothesized rules
of the mental grammar.
• Mental grammar is in our (individual) heads - shared by speakers of a language (with some
variation) = Linguistic
• A model of this grammar is called descriptive grammar
•Mental Grammar contains a system of rules
– system of rules that is stored in the mind of a speaker that generates the words and sentences of
that speaker’s language
-Sentences are not simply memorized by human brains(each neuron would have to store 1 million
sentences) -it’s not just that the possible number of sente