MDSB61 Week 3 Notes.docx
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
SEPT 27, 2011
“The Progress Myth”
- Is Google God?
- Some say that new media allows us to transcend much like religion and spiritual practices. Both also have rituals
ex. Religious practices you do at church, repeated action or from that make meaning in our life, ex: ctrl + c,
- Faith in google to give you best pages and results, put trust in it
“The Digital Sublime”
- Technology allows us to transcend ourselves
- Cultural myth that it’s better to be online..
- In 90s, spoke about this new change and great place where everybody will be liberated and can go on to live,
- Ex: Second Life. Virtual life online
- Creating a lot of different worlds for ourselves than ever before
- Is cyberspace a real space? .. Though we treat it as it is sometimes. Lines are blurred because much of the rest of
the population is involved too
- Is it an addiction? If people spend more time on cyberspace than in the real world, and find more happiness
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version