Chapter 11 Outline
• Understanding Assessment
◦ Model of Assessment: first developing learning objectives, then measuring if the
objectives are met at the end, then using those results to change the program to the
needs of the trainee.
◦ Need for Assessment: for effective training and development.
◦ Kirkpatrick’s Levels of Assessment: domains of learning and measurement.
• Assessing Affective Learning: Did they Like It?
◦ Domains of Affective Learning: Did they value the content, new behavior, fond of
◦ Tools for Assessing Affective Learning: use surveys and questionnaires or write
in journal or sticky notes.
• Assessing Cognitive Learning: Did They Learn It?
◦ Domains of Cognitive Learning: Trainers want to assess what learners
understand, can measure trainees’ ability to analyze and synthesize material,
measure if participants are capable of evaluating ideas.
◦ Tools for Assessing Cognitive