MGTA02H3 Lecture 1: MGTA02H3 S - Week 1 Note
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
MGTA02H3 S – Managing the Business Organization | Week 1
Professor Arif Toor
Office hours: IC 200B 12:00-13:00 Monday, 13:00-14:00 Tuesday, or by appointment.
INTRODUCTION OF THE COURSE
1. Definitions from MGTA01:
- “Business” defined: any LEGAL activity undertaken for the sake of PROFIT.
o Why we love business: it gives us freedom; it gives us opportunities to avoid being
controlled by our employers; it gives us the opportunities to avoid working nine to five.
o Profit: the money earned from doing business, and we have 100% control of it.
- Economic systems: Capitalism (Adam Smith) vs. Socialism (Karl Marx)
- Measuring performance: GDP, GDP per capita, etc.
- Forms of organization: sole partnership, general partnership, corporation, etc.
- Factors of production
o Natural resources/land
o (Entrepreneurship and Information)
- Market competition
o Competitive vs. Monopoly
- Small Business: the majority of Canadian businesses are small
- Business plan
- Raising capital
- International Business
2. Tips for students who want to start business:
a. Grow your network by making one more friend every week
b. Think of creative business ideas
3. What we are going to cover in this course:
Look into the business systems and find out how to manage it.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version