NROB60 Lecture 1.docx

5 Pages
191 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Neuroscience
Course
NROB60H3
Professor
Janelle Leboutillier
Semester
Summer

Description
NROB60 Dr. Janelle LeBoutillier [email protected] S557 - Wed 11 to 12 and 2:30 to 3:30  Online Atlas for lab Midterm – 20% lab quiz -15% Non cumulative. Except for chapter 7 and the appendix which is cumulative. Final -35% lab test -30% The final bell ringer is cumulative! Her exams are SA, MCQ, labelling, definitions, matching Her exams cover textbook and lectures!!! - at the beginning of each lab, there will be a couple of practice trays set up so that you can test yourself. - 3 pins each tray and 1 minute for each tray.  The society for neuroscience began in the 1970s  Neuroscience is interdisciplinary Why we can use animal models:  The nervous systems of different species evolved from common ancestors. Therefore they may have common mechanisms BUT many behavioural traits are highly specialized for the environment (niche) a species normally occupies. Why use a sheep brain:  It is large, accessible, not human (ethical issues), many of the same structures, relatively cheap compared to other brains. Gross Features: The dorsal surface, the cerebellum, the brain stem: . Pg 240 self quiz Try self quiz on the atlas Reductionist Approach: There are several different levels of analysis that we can use: Molecular Level (ex alter a certain gene) Cellular Level (ex. How has a cell changed after the change in genes) Systems Level (ex. how the systems are connected, like a visual system normally and when something is altered) Behavioural Level (ex. memory or learning- how they are affected) Cognitive Level Neuroscientist  Neurologist – M.D. trained to diagnose and treat diseases of the nervous system  Psychiatrist- M.D. diagnose and treat disord
More Less

Related notes for NROB60H3

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit